Command at Sea


I am very lucky, truly fortunate and blessed, to have served as a commanding officer in the United States Navy. Those of us who have served on Navy ships are exposed to the unique command structure and organization that encompasses leadership responsibility at sea. Where it becomes most in evidence is on the bridge of the ship while underway, the Captain present on the bridge, in command of the ship and all of the crew. The Commanding Officer is the absolute authority, responsible and accountable for everything and everyone on board; to the mission, safety, morale, and well-being of the crew. I was very lucky that my career progressed through some very special experiences, most very good and memorable, some not, with commanding officers, and leaders at all levels up to 4 stars, having a part in molding me. What resulted was a command philosophy and leadership approach that was not conventional or traditional. Somehow their examples and teachings inspired and empowered me to be a CO who tried new things, trusted his crew, gave authority and responsibility to whatever level was willing to accept it and exercise it, made it fun while demanding the best effort and the highest level of performance from each and every crew member. 
My job was to earn the trust and confidence of the crew, to be fair and open about our mission, purpose, and the lengths and means we which we were going to go to achieve our goals. Never betray your trust, never fail their expectations, give them the freedom and ability to make their contribution and believe in themselves. My energy and focus was on all these elements and making it work every day I was in command. My crew never disappointed me, and our shared experiences achieved our mission and we did our full measure serving the Fleet and representing our country. 
Command at Sea was the greatest professional experience of my life and has left an indelible memory in my mind of the enormity of that responsibility, trust and confidence place in my hands. There is no greater thrill and satisfaction than to be the commanding officer of a well-run, shipshape, and proud ship, underway, ready, willing, and able to carry any and all tasks. Take in all lines, shift colors, Underway!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Up a Navy Junior. 1947-1965

Keeping Busy As A Substitute Teacher

Blue and Gold Officer Summer Training - July 2010